About Prof Munawar Ali Malik

My photo
Mianwali, Punjab, Pakistan
Qualifications M.A English, B.ED Teaching experience: School Level: 11 years ----College Level: 25 years

Saturday, July 24, 2010

THE CONJUNCTION

A Conjunction is a word that joins words, phrases and sentences. e.g.
      1.   Ali and Aslam are brothers.
            The word and joins the two Nouns, Ali and Aslam.
      2.   By hook or by crook
The two phrases by hook, and by crook are joined by the Conjunction or
  1. He opened the door and went out.
The Conjunction and is used to combine two sentences----- He opened the door. He went out.
Conjunctions are classified as Coordinating Conjunctions and Subordinating Conjunctions.
Coordinating Conjunctions join independent sentences e.g.
  1. Aslam is my brother and Ali is my cousin.
  2. He worked hard but (he) failed.
  3. He can neither read nor (he can) write.
  4. He is intelligent but lazy.
  5. I have not only a motorbike but also (I have) a car.
Coordinating Conjunctions are also used to join pairs of Nouns, Adjective , Verbs, Abverbs and phrases. e.g.
      1.   Ali and Aslam (Nouns)
      2.   Intelligent but lazy (Adjectives)
      3.   He can neither read nor write (Verbs)
      4.   slowly but steadily (Adverbs)
      5.   by hook or by crook (Phrases)
            Subordinating Conjunctions join Adverb or Noun Clauses with the Main Independant Clause e.g.
  1. He told me that he was ill.
  2. If you work hard you will pass the examination.
  3. I took a taxi so that I could reach the school in time.
  4. I could not go out as/because it was raining
  5. As it was a holiday, we went out for a picnic.
  6. He failed because he did not work hard.
  7. When he had finished his work, he went out for a walk.
  8. Although he ran fast yet he could not catch the train.
  9. I shall not go out until it stops raining.
  10. As I was leaving the room I remembered I had forgot to inform my brother.
  11. I could not go with him as I had to do a lot of work.
Note that the Conjunction as can be used in place of when/ while and also in place of because.
Coordinate Conjunctions are used to make Compound Sentences and Subordinate Conjunctions are used to make Compound Sentences.

No comments: